An affiliate of the National Writing Project, the ISWP sponsors teachers who teach teachers in Peoria, Bartonville, Eureka, Lasalle, Henry, El Paso, Streator, Danville, Clinton, Heyworth, Springfield, Lincoln, Atlanta, as well as University High School in Normal, Central Catholic schools, Trinity Lutheran schools, Mulberry School, and the two unit districts (Unit 5 and District 87) in Normal and Bloomington.
- To improve student writing and learning in K-16 classrooms in central Illinois
- To extend the uses of writing in all disciplines
- To provide central Illinois schools with an effective professional development system
- To identify, celebrate, and enhance the professional role of successful classroom teachers in central Illinois.
- An invitational Summer Institute that brings together successful teachers of writing from all grade levels, K-university. The Institute has developed hundreds of teacher leaders during the past 20 years.
- A network of teacher leaders and affiliated schools engaged in the development of student-staffed writing centers.
- Continuity programs that provide local teachers with continuing support, enrichment, and opportunities for leadership. Over 4,000 teachers have served in teacher conferences and conference presentations, reaching over 400,000 students.
- Participating universities, schools, and districts have provided financial and personnel support for the local university-based NWP site; $141,000 in federal funds have been matched with over $180,000 in university, school, and district funds.
- Extensive teacher research conducted by teachers who have written articles, theses, and dissertations in conjunction with their project affiliation.